John Plepel for Forest Park Commissioner

What is your vision for Forest Park? John Plepel is running for Forest Park commissioner and would like to use the site to tell you about where he stands on issues facing our village. However, he also hopes that the public will take this opportunity to voice their opinions, concerns, and views about the Village of Forest Park. Please join in the conversation.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Forest Park, Illinois, United States

Friday, March 16, 2007

CUinFP Candidates Forum

The CUinFP Candidates Forum was last night and there was a great turnout (over 80 people, according to one person). It was great to see so many people take time out of their busy lives to learn about the candidates. If you were one of those people, you should be proud of your civic dedication.

As much as I enjoyed answering questions with the six other candidates (Mark Hosty is out of the country and was unable to attend), I really enjoyed having a chance to meet with many people one on one before and after the event. Since a couple of people asked me for clarification on a couple of my answers after the forum, I thought that it may be appropriate to restate those here, in case anyone else was wondering the same thing, but didn’t have a chance to ask me afterwards.

1) In a question about homes for parking, I made a statement that I didn’t want to speak in absolutes in regard to using eminent domain. That was apparently interpreted to mean that I am considering it. What I was trying to convey is that although there may be some hypothetical situation (I think I said “remote possibility”) that would justify eminent domain, I could not imagine what that would be. To clarify, I am against the use of eminent domain for the purposes of adding a parking lot or structure.
2) There was a question asked of us about involvement in public matters. I failed to express my involvement in the 500 block of Elgin project over the past year. That caused a couple of people to ask me if I was indeed part of that group. The answer, of course, is yes. I was very involved in that opposition. Further, I have been involved with continued talks with the developer (Cherryfield) about a compromise that would allow him to build without destroying the character of our neighborhood.

If any of you were at the forum today and want further clarification on any of my answers, please feel free to mention that here or via email at Plepel2007@hotmail.com. All and all, I think that the forum went well. In two weeks I will have another opportunity to participate in a public forum. I will do my best express my views as clearly as possible.

Were any of you there? What did you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home